The “Laugh A Minute” One Page Script Competition
Can you make us laugh in JUST ONE PAGE? That’s right – one page, just 60 seconds of screen-time.
The London Comedy Writers’ Festival wants your 1 page comedy scripts about love, life, death, pets, commuting, gardening, in-laws – ANYTHING YOU WANT – as long as it’s funny and your story is told in JUST ONE PAGE.
So, get those thinking caps on and get scribbling! The deadline is MIDDAY, Friday March 18th and the winner gets £50 spondoolies and a free ticket to the comedy festival on April 9-10th, 2011 (if you buy your ticket and win, we will refund you). There will also be a “highly commended” runner up, who will also receive a free ticket to the festival.
The Winner will be announced at the Festival where they will receive their award on stage (if you win, we will call you a few days before the festival to let you know).
To enter, send your one page screenplay, along with your email and phone number and name to...
- PDF ONLY
FAQ's and Terms and Conditions below.
1. Can I use dialogue?
It’s totally up to you: use dialogue, don’t use dialogue, whatever you want!
2. Are there any restrictions on locations, characters, etc?
Nope – we won’t be making the winning scripts this time, so go nuts and let your imagination run wild… Set your script in outer space, at the bottom of the sea or inside someone’s body, we don’t care: we just want you to make us laugh.
3. Is there a fee for this contest?
No, it’s 100% free. So please tell ALL your writery friends.
4. Can I use alternative formatting to fit my script on one page?
NO! And double no, as our comedy friend Ned Flanders would say. Please use standard spec script format, otherwise we will have no choice but to disqualify your script (just so it’s fair for everyone). If you’re not sure what the standard for spec scripts is, check out the format list at www.tinyurl.com/reqdreading.
5. Can I go over the one page *just a tiny bit*?
Nope, sorry. And don’t try any tricks like over-widening the margins, ‘cos our crack team of readers will find you out and hunt you down like the dogs you are. Or disqualify you, whichever is quicker.
6. My script HAS to be more than one page in order to make sense. Can I enter it anyway?
No, sorry. This is a one page script competition, so not the place for your script. Any scripts longer than one page will have to be disqualified.
7. Can I enter more than once?
No, sorry. Just the one entry this time.
8. But I’ve already bought a ticket to the festival!
Fantastic –in that case, if you win, we will refund you so you’d still be coming for free.
9.Can writers from overseas enter?
Yes of course – though please note getting to the festival and accommodation to take advantage of the prize ticket is the winner’s and runner up’s responsibility, not ours.
10. Where do I send my script?
Please send your script to email@example.com PDF ONLY. Please ensure you have a TITLE PAGE attached to your one pager, complete with the title of the script, your name and a valid email address. If we don’t know what it’s called or whom it’s by, we won’t enter the script into the contest. And if we don’t know how to contact you, we can’t tell you if you’ve won!
Terms and Conditions
- The screenplay must be no more than 1 page and correctly formed as per the following guidelines: www.tinyurl.com/reqdreading. Anything over one page will be disqualified.
- Only one entry per individual and or writing team. However, an individual can enter a script once and again with NEW script with a writing partner.
- Deadline for submissions are Friday March 18, 2010 at mid day (12:00 GMT)
- The winner receives one free ticket to the 2011 Comedy Writers Festival along with £50 cash. The runner up receives one free ticket to the festival. Winners who previously purchase tickets to the festival (highly recommended) will receive a full refund of their ticket price.
- Winners will be notified before the festival, but will receive their award at the festival.
- By submitting your script to the competition you agree that you hold harmless ScriptPlus Limited, London Screenwriters Festival, Comedy Writers Festival and any of its affiliates and or sponsors from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.